Special one time tax credit on your 2006 tax return

November 25, 2006 at 2:48 am 6 comments

When it comes time to prepare and file your 2006 tax return, make sure you don’t overlook the “federal excise tax refund credit.” You claim the credit on line 71 of your form 1040. A similar line will be available if you file the short form 1040A. If you have family or friends who no longer file a tax return AND they have their own land phone in their home and have been paying a phone bill for years, make sure they know about this form 1040EZ-T.

What is this all about? Well the federal excise tax has been charged to you on your phone bill for years. It is an old tax that was assessed on your toll calls based on how far the call was being made and how much time you talked on that call. When phone companies began to offer flat fee phone service, challenges to the excise tax ended up in federal courts in several districts of the country. The challenges pointed out that flat fee/rate phone service had nothing to do with the distance and the length of the phone call. Therefore, the excise tax should/could not be assessed.

The IRS has now conceded this argument. Phone companies have been given notice to stop assessing the federal excise tax as of Aug 30, 2006. You will most likely see the tax on your September cutoff statement, but it should NOT be on your October bill.

But the challengers of the old law also demanded restitution. So the IRS has announced that a one time credit will be available when you and I file our 2006 tax return as I explained above. However, the IRS also established limits on how BIG a credit you can get. Here ‘s how it works.

If you file your return as a single person with just you as a dependent, you get to claim a $30 credit on line 71 of your 1040.

If you file with a child or a parent as your dependent, you claim $40.

If you file your return as a married couple with no children, you claim $40.

If you file as married with children, you claim $50 if one child, $60 if two children.

In all cases, the most you get to claim is $60 – UNLESS you have all your phone bills starting AFTER Feb 28, 2003 through July 31, 2006 (do not use any bills starting Aug 1, 2006.), then you can add up the ACTUAL TAX AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR BILLS AND CLAIM THAT FOR A CREDIT.

Now if you have your actual phone bills and come up with an ACTUAL TAX AMOUNT, you cannot use line 71 on your tax return. You have to complete a special form number 8913 and attach it to your tax return.

Individuals using the special from 1040EZ-T will have to attach this form 8913 also.

One final point – this credit is a refundable credit. That means you get this money, no matter how your tax return works out. If you would end up owing the IRS a balance, the refund will reduce that balance you owe. If you end up getting a refund, the credit will be added and you get a bigger refund by that $30 to $60, depending on how many dependents are on your return.

Feel free to pass this on or make copies for family and friends who don’t have computers.

Source: Snopes.com


Entry filed under: Taxes.

We are officially owners of a brand spanking new Wii! Drive free, retire rich

6 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Dimes  |  November 26, 2006 at 1:46 am

    Yay! Forty dollars!

  • 2. jenn hanlon  |  November 30, 2006 at 6:02 pm

    blah blah blah

  • 3. Joan  |  December 2, 2006 at 3:49 pm

    I do have all my receipts dating back to 2/28/03. I figured I paid $60 dollars into federal taxes within the dates mentioned. Is there a percentage of federal taxes that will be refunded? How did they derive to those figures? “Federal Excise Tax” doesn’t show up on the bills until mid 2004. What was considered Federal Excise Tax before that? I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth my time and effort to get the additional $30 back, using that special form.

  • 4. chaka42  |  December 4, 2006 at 5:55 pm

    I’m not sure why it didn’t sow up on your bill as a Federal Excise Tax since it’s inception dates back to 1898. I’d recommend you talk to an accountant about what to look for to figure out what you can claim as credit . If you have your statements, it’d be worth it, and probably more than the $30. Let me know if this helps.

    For a bit of information about the Federal Excise Tax, check out this article from USA Today, http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/telecom/2005-06-30-taxes-usat_x.htm

  • 5. Talan Guadalupe  |  May 4, 2007 at 4:06 am


    Nice to know about this

    here’s more…


  • 6. kirsten johnson  |  December 22, 2014 at 8:43 am

    Great Article! I mostly use PDFfiller to fill out PDF forms. It also allows you to erase in a pdf, esign, and create templates from the forms found in their PDF Search Engine.
    Its easy to use and its pretty cheap. I think you can get a free trial if you ask for it. I was able to get a blank fillable 1040EZ Form through http://goo.gl/yMS00v


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


November 2006
    Dec »

Most Recent Posts

%d bloggers like this: